VB.NET 14 Features

I read this article about some of the best features coming for VB.NET 14 in the next Visual Studio Release. Some of these features have been a given in C# for many years but have annoyingly been left out of VB.NET projects (The references folder for crying out loud!!!)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn890368.aspx

Probably my favourite of all of these additions is the ability to do Lambda expressions in a Watch window. This has been a constant source for upset for so long, if you get an enormous collection at Debug time, having to write something to iterate over them and then writing a condition or creating a conditional break point to catch what you are looking for is so so upsetting.

I knew with the Roslyn compiler C# had been rewritten from the ground up in C# (instead of C++) but I was surpsised to find out that VB.NET has also been rewritten in VB.NET and that it had resulted in a 50% speed increase. That speed increase isn't something I would expect. I am not saying VB.NET was ever slow but surely being able to run closer to the metal with C++ would result in better performance. I wonder if it's the rewrite (and therefore refactor) of ancient unwieldy code that has produced the speed increase primarily.
SHARE

Dom Finn

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment